Many times, the nursing mother needs to store their milk for their baby feed. They prefer to maintain the freshness and quality of the milk, thus try varied means to do it perfectly. Luckily, for them, many website blogs are providing useful information about Breastmilk storage guidelines.
Here are a few do’s you can adapt while storing breast milk for your baby:
- You need to first wash your hands well with anti-germ cleansing liquid.
- It is useful to select glass container rather than plastic bottles or their containers. There are even special disposable plastic bags designed for storing milk.
- While storing it is best to label the container as you will know the time and date when the milk was expressed.
- Try to keep the containers at the backspace of the freezer or in the refrigerator. It is because that part is the coolest one that will keep the milk totally fresh. You can even keep it in an insulated cooler pack filled with ice packs.
- You can add the freshly expressed milk in freeze stored milk however after fully refrigerating it. Normal freshly expressed milk may spoil the quality of stored breast milk.
- Breast milk stored at room temperature will be good for four hours, freezer stored milk will remain usable for four days and insulated pack stored milk can be used for one day only.
Things that aren’t suitable to do while storing breast milk:
- Shouldn’t keep it outside for longer hours even though the temperature will be cold.
- You can’t use any containers that seem to be clean. It is best to sterilize them before using them to store breast milk.
- Don’t heat the frozen milk immediately after taking it out from the freezer or refrigerator. It is best to keep them outside for half an hour before keeping them to heat on the stove.
- It is best to avoid heating the milk using the microwave as its rapid heating may harm the quality of the milk.
- If possible, use the breast milk kept in the freezer within few days. It is because the longer you keep it stored will reduce the fewer nutrients in it.
To know more you can always search the internet where many bloggers are suggesting the best ways to store and feed breast milk to babies. These breast milk storage guidelines have proven useful to many lactating mothers. The methods are simple to follow, thus with no second thoughts follow them.