Today we remember the lives of Henry Raynor Jr, Walter Bawroski and James Kimbel. 32 years ago today, these men lost their lives while battling a blaze at the Shillers Furniture Store in the 7400 block of Holabird Ave.
Firebox 6-2 was dispatched at 13:33 hours, Engine 6 & 61 arrived at 13:37 to find a 210' x 130' 2 story furniture store well involved with fire. A 2nd alarm was transmitted at 13:41 and a 3rd alarm at 13:52. Around that time is when conditions deteriorated rapidly. One firefighter stated, when he was exiting the building he was almost "blown out" of the structure in what he describe as flash over like conditions and that 3 other firemen were still inside. He was the last firefighter to leave the building alive.
The bodies of Walter and Henry were found later that evening in the rear and James was found the next morning in the center of the collapse.
The 3 men were part of the Baltimore County Fire Department but this hits especially close to home because James was an active member of the company at the time of his death.
Christmas Garden Construction Has Begun!
Last Sunday marked the beginning of the construction for our annual Christmas Garden. Pictured here are a few members constructing the platforms. We will try to post weekly updates with some photos. We are looking forward to another great year. Thank you for your continued support!
9/11 - 15 Years Later
This is a day that will live on forever in the memories of Americans. Everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing in this day. We ask to take some time out of your day to remember all the civilians and emergency service workers that we killed in this attack especially the 343 FDNY Firemen and the many others that have died since then from cancer and illness related to working at Ground Zero.
This is a picture of FDNY Ladder 118 responding to the WTC on 9/11. All 6 firemen on the rig that day would not return home. To this day the duty board in their firehouse from 9/11/01 remains untouched with the names of those 6 firemen.
Back to School
With Baltimore County Schools starting back up tomorrow, we would like to wish everyone a safe and healthy school year. With that being said, drivers please beware of kids walking to and from school especially during the morning and afternoon hours. We hate seeing accidents involving pedestrians and school aged children.
Lt. Riley leaves for Basic
We want to say good luck to Lieutenant Aaron Riley who left today for Basic Training for the US Army Reserves. Lt Riley has spent countless hours volunteering with the company and serving the Dundalk community over the last few years and now he heads off to serve our country. Good luck, stay safe and we'll see you soon.
Excessive Heat Wave Continues
With the excessive heat wave continuing for our area be sure to know he signs of heat related emergencies. Limit your time outside, drink plenty of WATER and check on your elderly neighbors and family. Don't forget s out your pets too, if you are hot, they are too.
Tonight's, July 5th, fireworks will kick off approximately 9PM. We don't have an exact time because that's up to the company performing the display but it's usually right around the time it gets dark. They will be at the North Point Government Center as they always are. We have no further information on the display at this time. Be safe and enjoy the Dundalk tradition.
House fire on Wise Ave
On July 4th as members were gathered at the station, as well as other fire companies in the area, preparing for the annual Dundalk 4th of July Parade, members noticed smoke in the area of the 7900 block of Wise Ave. Engine 271 responded to investigate. A few seconds after they responded a passer buy stopped on the front ramp and told the remaining members, "a house down the street is on fire." With that information the remaining volunteers responded with Engine 272, IV 275, Brush 276 and Utility 277. Engine 271 arrived, after securing a water source, to find a 1 1/2 story dwelling with fire showing. Crews began an interior attack but were backed out momentarily when the aluminum awning started to melt and drip on the hose burning multiple holes in it. Once the broken section was replaced, crews proceeded back inside as extinguished the fire. 1 occupant was transported to Bayviews Burn Center in serious condition. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
After clearing the fire and getting the equipment back in service we were still able to attend the parade with all units except Engine 271, who remained on the fire.